The ONA17 Volunteer Committee looks for volunteers to work before, during and a little bit after the 2017 Online News Association Conference in Washington, D.C., Oct. 5-7. Volunteers work alongside the best minds in online journalism, and revel in the satisfaction of pulling off one of the best events in the industry.
Applications closed Thursday, March 23. All applicants will be notified before the early-bird registration period ends so that they can take advantage of our lowest conference rate if they are not selected.
Volunteers help support pre-conference preparations, registration, sessions, special events and other critical elements of ONA17.
The video team interviews key experts and attendees to produce packages that outline the most important conversations happening at the event.
The audio team works with staff and our technical team to ensure the most popular sessions throughout the conference are recorded.
The social team provides in-the-moment coverage of sessions and keynotes throughout ONA17 via live blogs and social media.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do volunteers receive a pass to ONA17? Yes, volunteers will receive one complimentary badge to attend our conference, which has sold out for the past 10 years running.
- Do volunteers receive any support for travel, or room and board? Unfortunately, we are not able to provide travel, hotel or meals for volunteers.
- Are volunteers able to attend educational sessions? Volunteers work an eight to 10-hour shift. You are more than welcome to attend other events at ONA17 outside of your scheduled volunteer hours.
- What qualifications to volunteers need? We've outlined the qualifications we're looking for on each page below. Needs range from simply having a love of digital journalism to more technical knowledge for our video and social teams.
- What if I apply to more than one position? No need to worry — our team leaders will coordinate to find the best spot for you.
- When will I be notified? Each team will notify applicants once that team is finalized. So you may hear about different positions at different times. Team leaders start choosing teams soon after the application period closes, on March 23 at 11:59 p.m. ET. You'll be notified before early-bird registration rates end; that way, you can still take advantage of our lowest rates in case you're not selected as a volunteer.
- Who can I contact? Each team has its own email address. To get in touch, email the appropriate team leads with the links below: